16-18 Bursaries

You may be eligible for financial support to help while studying.  This will depend on which course you study, how far away from your college centre you live, and your household circumstances.  You must meet the eligibility criteria and have attendance at 90% and above

16-18 Vulnerable Bursary

The maximum award for the vulnerable bursary is £1200 per year.   

To receive this support you need to be classed as one or more of the following: 

  • In care  
  • A care leaver  
  • Receiving Income Support or Universal Credit because you are financially supporting yourself, or financially supporting yourself and someone who is dependent on you and living with you, such as a child or partner  
  • Receiving Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments in your own right as well as Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit in your own right

16-18 Discretionary Bursary  

There is the discretionary bursary to help with travel and materials. This support is means-tested and you need to be a dependent of someone with low income or on benefits or financially supporting yourself.  

You will need to upload proof of household income or benefits with your application. The fund is not guaranteed and it will only be paid to those who meet the attendance criteria of 90% or above. 

If you are aged 19 or over you will only be eligible to receive a discretionary bursary if you are continuing on a study program you began aged 16 to 18 (‘19+ continuer’) or have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). 

Please complete an online application – Bursary Application

Free College Meals

Eligible learners

  • Aged 16 or over but under 19 at 31 August 2023
  • Aged 19 or over continuing on a study programme began aged 16 to 18
  • Aged 19-23 and have an EHCP
  • Enrolled on an applicable accredited course(s).

You need will to provide proof of one of the following eligible benefits

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • the guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided that you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC))
  • Universal Credit with net earnings not exceeding the equivalent of £7,400 pa (after tax and not including any benefits you get) 

For UC – you must provide Universal Credit award statements from their three most recent complete assessment periods, showing earnings in that period do not exceed £1,850.00 (this is a quarter of an equivalent annual income of £7,400).

Please complete an online application – Bursary Application

TfL Oyster Scheme 

If you are aged 16-17, please apply for a 16+ Zip Oyster photo card.

If you are aged 18 on 31st August 2023 and you live in a London Borough you can still apply for the 16+ zip oyster card as you will be in full time education. You’ll need to apply online in your own name and when prompted add in the college name. You will need to download and print a verification letter to take to college, which we’ll sign and stamp you’ll need to take to a post office along with proof of age and address to get your photo card. Please apply online here

Care to Learn 

If you are aged 16-19 at the start of your course the Care to Learn scheme can help with childcare costs  while you study. To apply please complete the Application Form on the gov.uk website here

For more information please read Financial Assistance for Students

Any questions please email: Student.Finance@morleycollege.ac.uk